Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tutorial: Removable Mustache Binkies


I was shopping through etsy and saw a picture of a baby with a mustache binky, and it made me laugh!  I knew I had to make these as part of a gift for two friends who are expecting next month.  If you aren't feeling crafty, but like this idea, you can purchase one from the etsy site. (Note: That is not my shop on etsy).

 If you don't have velcro on hand, you can use a hot glue gun to affix the mustaches to your binkies.  But, if you want the mustaches to be removable and interchangable (all you need is one binky and then you can velcro any mustache you want to it), you will need velcro.  Obviously, if you hot glue the mustache to the binky, then you only have one mustache option.

SAFETY NOTE: These binkies can be a choking hazard.  Please beware that since these mustaches are removable, your baby can put these in his/her mouth.  Only use these under strict supervision or to take cute pictures!   

Materials: 
  •  Black Felt
  • Mustache cutouts
  • Scissors
  • Pins
  • Binkies (for this project, I used 3+ months BPA free binkies)
  • Velcro (not pictured)











Directions:

Find some pictures online of mustaches that you like. You can draw them free hand or trace them on your computer screen.  For this project, I found some mustaches here and since I don't have a printer, I reduced them to 65% on my screen, placed a piece of notebook paper on my screen, and traced them. 

Next, I cut out the mustaches.

Pin the paper pattern onto the felt material and cut them out.

Aren't they cute?

Next, cut a thin strip of velcro and stuck it to the binky.  Take the other side of the velcro strip and attach it to the various mustaches.  Make sure the velcro that you use on the binky is the opposite piece for the velcro that you use on the mustaches so that they stick together!

Finally, affix the mustache to the binky!









 

2 comments:

  1. This is so freaking adorable! I so need to remember this for future baby showers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the pictures of my friends' babies. Try out the tutorial and post your version on your blog :)

    ReplyDelete